Think Variety, Think Color
Dazzle your kids with color! Eating fruits and veggies in a variety of colors — red, dark green, yellow, blue, purple, white and orange — not only provides eye candy for your kids but mixing things up also gives them a broad range of nutrients. So “think variety, think color” and everybody wins! And they can have a little fun filling up that shopping cart with a spectrum of colorful fruits and vegetables that’ll create a rainbow on their plates!
How to Create a Rainbow on Your Plate
- Make a tropical rainbow fruit salad with fruits of each color: oranges, pink grapefruit, mango, papaya, kiwifruit, bananas, and purple grapes.
- Saute your own medley of mixed vegetables using each color: red onions, carrots, corn, jicama, broccoli and black beans.
- Try a spinach salad with dried cranberries, canned mandarin oranges and red onion with your favorite vinaigrette.
- Make fruit-sicles: Puree your favorite fruit such as melon, peaches, banana, and/or berries with 100% fruit juice. Freeze in ice cube trays or paper cups or popsicle molds for a refreshing treat. Use fresh, frozen or canned.
- Make a refreshing summer beverage using 100% juice and iced tea.
- Roast a whole head of garlic to make a delicious spread for an appetizer or on sandwiches.
- Steam edamame for a fun snack. Kids love it!
- Make a Greek-inspired salad: romaine lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, chick peas, black olives and artichoke hearts.
- Make confetti coleslaw: shredded green and red cabbage, grated carrots, julienned kohlrabi and finely chopped red and yellow peppers.
- Make a Mexican pizza with tortillas, refried beans, salsa and grated low fat jalapeno cheese. Bake.
- On a busy night, check out the unique combinations of veggies in the frozen section to build a meal – a quick stir-fry, vegetable soup or stew, or a frittata.
- Make a dried fruit and nut mix for snacks. They make great gifts too. Include dried apples, apricots, cranberries, peaches, pears, cherries and mixed nuts.
- Pizza for breakfast? Sure! Top a toasted English muffin with tomato sauce, a scrambled egg and fresh spinach. Add grated Mozzarella and melt.
- Try some different veggie toppings on your pizza: