- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven to medium. Add the onion or shallot and sauté 3-4 minutes or until slightly soft. Add the carrots and sauté an additional 4-5 minutes or until the carrots are slightly soft.
- Stir in the ginger, garlic, cumin, turmeric, salt, black pepper and cayenne (if using) for 30-60 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in the lentils, then add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk and cilantro and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until very smooth. Stir in the lime zest and juice. Stir in honey (if using). Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve with freshly cracked black pepper, if desired.
Substitution Tip: Try this soup with butternut squash or sweet potatoes instead of carrots.