The autumn harvest season is a perfect time to enjoy the beauty of fall foliage, take family walks on crisp, cool days and enjoy the abundance of fresh and deep-colored fruits and vegetables like apples, pears, sweet potatoes, acorn squash, cranberries.
For fun, fall ways to get more fruits and veggies, try new ways to prepare and serve fall favorites:
- For breakfast, top whole grain waffles or pancakes with warm apple slices and cinnamon.
- Pack broccoli and cauliflower pieces with low fat Ranch dressing for an afternoon snack that fills you up!
- Instead of French fries, serve seasoned, baked sweet potato "fries" with your favorite dinner.
- Stir-fry green beans or Brussels sprouts with garlic and olive oil.
- Bake acorn squash with a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon-it’s sweet and loaded with antioxidants.
- Finish your meal with a bowl of warm, baked, sliced pears and apples; top with cranberries, almonds and low-fat vanilla yogurt. It is delicious!
For added convenience, look for all ready cut-up varieties such as cubed butternut squash, apple slices and baby carrots. Or stop by the salad bar.
A variety of colorful fruits and vegetables provides the range of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals you need to stay healthy and fit.
So, remember that More Matters this fall and include fresh fall produce in your daily diet!
Vice President of Consumer Affairs
Stop & Shop / Giant