- Turkey. Strip the skin off of your kids’ turkey to lower the fat content. If they need more flavor, add some olive oil and herbs!
- Snow Cones. Let the kids lend a helping hand in creating these cool and crisp summer treats. Combine frozen fruit and ice in a blender to make healthier versions of this summer time favorite!
• If your kids like pizza, try our Easy Vegetable Focaccia as a healthy alternative.
• Ask the kids to help with a sweet potato and baked apple mash. Combine baked sweet potatoes and apple, a small amount of butter, cinnamon and sugar. Ask them to help "mash" it all together!
• If your child is a pasta lover, try mixing veggies in with the pasta to create Vegetable Pasta with Tomatoes.
- Colorful Mac & Cheese. Who doesn’t love mac & cheese? Add some color and nutrition by tossing in broccoli, tomatoes, asparagus, and all of your other favorite spring vegetables. Remember to use whole wheat pasta as well as low-fat cheese and low-fat milk!
- Homemade Fruit Leather. Peel and pit peaches (or a fruit of your choice) then purée in a blender. Pour the purée onto wax paper-lined cookie sheets and dry in a dehydrator or in the oven at a very low temperature. Letting this cook overnight will give you a warm, welcoming treat in the morning!
|Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals|
|Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes & Desserts|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database