Ever find yourself staring into the pantry trying to think of how to put together a meal? Having basic meal builders on hand will help with meal planning and ensure that your family has balanced meals. Stock your pantry with basic ingredients to make nutritious meals for you and your family.
Basic Meal Builders
These go-to foods can be a nutritious foundation for any meal.
- Whole-grain pasta
- Long grain or brown rice
- Dried or canned beans and legumes
- Pasta sauce
- Canned and frozen fruits and vegetables
Some foods can be enjoyed throughout the day as a snack or meal. These foods are great everyday items.
- Canned tuna or salmon
- Whole-grain cereal
- Multigrain bread
- 100% juice
Keep your pantry stocked with smart snack items.
- Dried fruit and vegetables
- Low-fat granola bars
- Fruit cups
- Trail mix ingredients (nut & seeds)
- Low-fat popcorn
Last-minute meal ideas
Not sure what to make for dinner? Try these easy meal ideas using everyday pantry items.
- Pasta + Pasta Sauce + Frozen Veggies = Spaghetti Dinner
- Canned Black Beans + Rice + Onion, Peppers + Cumin, Garlic Powder + Tortilla = Bean Burritos
- Baked Potatoes + Broccoli + Cheese + Chopped Deli Meat = Baked Potato Bar
- Canned Tomatoes + Canned Beans + Diced Vegetables + Chili powder, Garlic Powder + Hamburger Meat = Chili Night