We all know that fruits and vegetables are good for us; however most of us still fall short on meeting daily recommended servings. Fruits and vegetables are packed with important nutrients that promote health such as fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
For a few fun and delicious ways to help you boost your family’s fruit and vegetable intake, try these tasty ideas …
- On a Stick. Cut up a variety of your favorite fruits or vegetables and alternate on a wooden skewer. For a delicious dip, serve fruit kabobs with low-fat fruit flavored yogurt, and serve veggie kabobs with hummus or plain Greek yogurt mixed with ranch seasoning.
- Tasty Toppings. To boost nutrients in your favorite family meals, add fresh, frozen or canned fruits and vegetables to wraps, casseroles, salads, pizza or pasta dishes.
- Blend! For a delicious and healthy sweet treat, breakfast or afterschool snack, try a fruit smoothie. Just combine 2 cups of frozen fruit, 1 carton of flavored low-fat yogurt and ½ cup of 100% fruit juice then blend until smooth.
- Grill ‘em. Grilling can bring out delicious flavors in fruits and vegetables so next time you are firing up the grill, save some space for produce. Some fruits & veggies that work great on the grill include corn-on-the-cob, eggplant, zucchini, squash, asparagus, Portobello mushrooms, pineapple, bananas, mango and peaches. Depending on the size and firmness of the food, you can wrap in foil and toss directly on the grill or place pieces on a kabob.
- Wow for Your Water. For a refreshing and healthy alternative to sugar sweetened beverages, try flavoring your water with slices of cucumber, lemon, lime or berries.
Jennifer Meyer, RD, LMNT
Bag ‘N Save and No Frills Supermarkets