- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, warm the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, season generously with salt and pepper, and sauté over medium heat until the pieces become soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed squash, decrease the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally until the squash softens and caramelizes slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Add the pears and garam masala, and continue to cook and stir for one minute, to let the curry flavor bloom.
- Add ½ cup of the reserved pear juice and 3 cups water, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Purée the soup in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Return the purée to the pot, stir in the cream and bring back to a simmer.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. (The soup can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. Reheat slowly to serve.) If the soup is too thick, add a little more water or pear juice.
Optional garnish: sour cream and pepitas.