We are thankful for the ongoing commitment of the retail industry to promote fruits and vegetables on a daily basis and throughout their omni-channel shopper engagement. This September, we encourage everyone to do something special in honor of National Fruits & Veggies Month! To get you started, we’ve pulled together the following retail activation ideas and inspo! #haveaplant #NFVM2022
Become the Habits & Hacks Queen for National Fruits & Veggies Month
In celebration of National Fruits & Veggies Month this September, it’s time to help your shoppers get serious about the “doing.” Give yourself a new role for September, as the fruits and veggies Habits and Hacks Queen. Why habits and hacks?
Habits: People crave the “how to.” Habits are the repeatable, automatic behaviors that make the difference in healthy living. People just need to be taught how to and be inspired to create fruit and veggie habits. That’s where you come in.
Hacks: People who learn a new fruit and/or vegetable hack are more likely to #haveaplant more often. At PBH, we also know that content related to hacks performs well in social and digital.
Consider the following ideas for retail promotion in National Fruits & Veggies Month during your reign.
- As you recommend your shoppers have just one more meal together as a part of National Family Meals Month, suggest they add one more fruit or vegetable to that meal.
- Partner internally to offer BOGO deals, tying a main dish protein, for example, to a fresh, frozen or canned vegetable (promoting the habit of always having veggies as a side at dinner) or nuts to dried fruit (promoting the habit of fruit at snacks).
- Work with your graphics team to give parents a pat on the back, fist bump, or high five in social and digital for serving veggies as an appetizer or fruit on top of breakfast cereal or toast or packaging two produce items in school lunches. Research shows that kids who are exposed to healthy foods repeatedly are more likely to enjoy these foods as adults. Help your parent shoppers feel pride in giving their kids the gift of long-term healthy eating habits.
- Feature your dietitian team (or produce managers or pharmacists) in social, each showing how they are working to add fruits or vegetables to their favorite foods (a layer of spinach puree on a pizza crust before you add the sauce, added pureed pumpkin to chili, layered leftover veggies onto a grilled cheese sandwich).
- Promote meal planning tools to shoppers, pre-filling it with fruit and vegetable options at every meal as suggestions.
- Create an e-commerce landing page filled with your top ten favorite fruit and veggie hacks. Consider a theme such as:
- Produce About to Go Bad Hacks: wilted lettuce in ice water revives it, storing apples with potatoes prevents sprouts.
- Storage Hacks: wrap lettuce, carrots, and cucumbers in foil to keep them crisp, refrigerate cut watermelon in a colander over a bowl, put greens with a paper towel in plastic bag or storage container.
- Preparation Hacks: Cut a watermelon with dental floss. Cut spaghetti squash in rings to bake; when done, swirl with a fork for veggie spaghetti.
- Engage employees throughout the company to film and share one-minute videos of their favorite fruit or vegetable hack.
- Share daily posts or short videos with a Fruit and Veggie Hack of the Day throughout the month of September.
Visit the GET THE CREATIVE tab at the top of the page to find graphics, sample social media posts and more! And remember to #NFVM2022 and #haveaplant all your awesome posts!