Need a refreshing and delicious dessert to serve at your summertime get-togethers for kids and adults alike? What better way to celebrate summer than with fresh berries and everyone’s favorite treat, ice cream! At your next summertime party, set up an ice cream sundae station and combine the creaminess of ice cream or frozen yogurt with the joyful sweetness of fresh summertime fruit.
Tip: Berries pack a nutritional punch for few calories but stick with light and low-fat versions of ice cream and frozen yogurt and you’ll be on your way to a delicious and good-for-you treat!
What you’ll need …
Yogurt or Ice Cream [serving size: ½ cup]
- Low-Fat Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
- Low-Fat Peach Frozen Yogurt
- Light-Churned Vanilla Ice Cream
- Raspberries. Raspberries are a top source of fiber, as well as an excellent source of Vitamin C. [More Info]
- Sliced Strawberries. Strawberries pack an excellent source of Vitamin C. [More Info]
- Blueberries. Blueberries are rich in Vitamin C and are one of the highest sources of antioxidants. Research shows they may even slow the aging process. [More Info]
- Chopped Walnuts. Walnuts are packed with omega-3 fatty acids (heart-healthy fats) and protein. Enjoy in moderation, as nuts are high in calories. [More Info]
- Slivered Almonds. Almonds are good sources of Vitamin E and fiber and are rich in protein. Slivered nuts give great flavor without all the calories of whole nuts. [More Info]
- Fresh Cherries. Cherries contain Vitamin C, potassium and fiber. [More Info]
- Fresh Mint Leaves. Mint has been used throughout history to aid in digestion and relieve feelings of indigestion. It is also rich in Vitamins A and C.
How to set things up …
Set ice cream or frozen yogurt on a long table. Set out toppings in individual bowls with serving spoons. Provide small plastic ice cream bowls or parfait dishes for the kids, parfait or martini glasses for the adults, and long ice cream sundae spoons. Have the guests select their ice cream or yogurt of choice and top with fresh berries and nuts. Then add a cherry and some mint leaves. Savor the tastes and colors of summer berries! Enjoy.