Why do beef and tomatoes pair so well together? It’s because both contain umami compounds that, when combined, work synergistically to create incredibly delicious savory aromas and flavors. This recipe features tender lean beef, cooked quickly, and topped with the pizzaiola sauce. It’s a quick, easy weeknight dinner everyone will love!
For the Pizzaiola Sauce
- In a medium sauté pan heat oil and add garlic. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add peppers and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until reduced but not dry.
- Add parsley and season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
For the Fried Capers
- Drain, rinse, and dry canned capers.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add capers and cook until crispy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove capers from oil with a slotted spoon, place on a plate with a paper towel to drain, season with salt, and set aside.
For the Steak Pizzaiola
- Season steaks with salt and pepper on both sides. Dust with flour.
- In a large sauté pan heat oil over medium-high heat until lightly smoking.
- Place steaks in oil.
- Sauté for 2 minutes on each side, remove from pan.
- Add Pizzaiola Sauce to sauté pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add steaks back to the pan and simmer with the sauce for 1 minute.
- Top with fried capers and serve.
Certified Master Chef Ron DeSantis of CulinaryNXT and Amy Myrdal Miller, MS, RD, FAND
Sponsored by Pacific Coast Producers and National Cattlemen’s Beef Association
Photo credit to Kristina LaRue, RD – Love and Zest