I love cereal! As a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, I call cereal the perfect “vehicle food,” because it often carries nutrient-dense and delicious fruit and milk.
Did you know only 1 in 10 people get enough fruits or vegetables,1 and just as few get enough dairy foods?2 Eating cereal more often – as a meal, snack, or using it as an ingredient in recipes – can help fill those fruit, vegetable and milk gaps deliciously and conveniently.
When people eat cereal, they eat it with:
- Fruit – 3 out of 5 times3
- Milk – 9 out of 10 times4
Cereal isn’t just for breakfast anymore! It makes a great ingredient in sweet and savory recipes. These Kellogg’s recipes help you eat more fruits, milk, and even veggies with cereal.
BONUS! Many Kellogg’s cereals are fortified with vitamins and minerals we don’t always get enough of, like iron, vitamin D, and folic acid. And all Kellogg’s cereals in these recipes are authorized for the USDA’s Women, Infants, and Children program (WIC) helping families receive access to nutritious foods and equitable health services.
Countdown Of 10 Delicious Ways To Pair Cereals With Fruit, Milk & Veggies
10. “Use-It-Don’t-Lose-It” Bowl: Have “just a little left” in the cereal box? Maybe just those last few berries, raisins or almonds? They’re ALL good, so give them their due:
- Combine cereals, like Kellogg’s Corn Flakes®, Kellogg’s Rice Krispies®, Crispix, and/or Kashi Warm Cinnamon Organic Oat® cereal in a bowl
- Add whatever dried/fresh fruit, and nuts you have on hand
- Add milk or your favorite yogurt
- The result: a delicious, filling meal or snack that gets fruit and dairy into your day and wastes nothing!
9. Take a bowl to your goal! The Special K® Berry Smoothie Bowl has lots of fruit, including 100% orange juice, plus yogurt and cereal. It also works in a cup! Check the recipe for more “Tips and Tricks”. One of mine: it’s great even without “smoothing” it! Just put the ingredients in a bowl and spoon up to your heart’s content!
8. Everyone likes a good cookie. Rice Krispies® Apple Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies are a tasty enough treat but loaded enough with nutrients to eat with breakfast!
7. Frozen Tropical Kashi® Yogurt Cups are a cool and crunchy snack or dessert and super-easy to make. Each one has whole grain oats, fruit, and yogurt.
6. For some real comfort food at breakfast or anytime, Sweet Pineapple Corn Muffins With Kellogg’s Corn Flakes® Cinnamon does the trick.
5. I love chewy, deliciousness, and Peanut Butter & Banana No-Bake Cereal Bites are both! The recipe’s “Tips & Tricks” include lots of variations. (One of mine: raisins work just as well as the dried cranberries!)
4. Make every bite count! Southwestern Veggie Egg Bites with Kellogg’s Corn Flakes® do the trick, with peppers, onions, Kellogg’s Corn Flakes, and cheese. Plus, it makes 12 bites – and they reheat nicely. Great snack, but as part of my breakfast, I’ll have two.
3 & 2. I love all kinds of trail mix, especially with Crispix cereal. Here are 2 I love: Cheesy Taco Crispix® Mix, for a savory snack with niacin and iron (check the tips for adding dried fruits!). Also try the Maple Cinnamon Crispix® Mix recipe, to deliciously get iron and niacin, with tips for making your own custom version!
1. I never forget the basics. A bowl of cereal, fruit, and milk is tried, true, and never lets me down. No time? No worries. Always a winner.
Lee SH, Moore LV, Park S, Harris DM, Blanck HM. Adults Meeting Fruit and Vegetable Intake Recommendations – United States, 2019. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2022 Jan 7;71(1):1-9. doi: 10.15585/mmwr.mm7101a1. PMID: 34990439; PMCID: PMC8735562
U.S. Department of Agriculture. MyPlate. Dairy. “How much food from the Dairy Group is needed daily?”09.Feb.2022. https://www.myplate.gov/eat-healthy/dairy
2020 PBH STATE OF THE PLATE: America’s Fruit & Vegetable Consumption Trends
Song WO, Chun OK, Kerver J, Cho S, Chung CE, Chung SJ. Ready-to-eat breakfast cereal consumption enhances milk and calcium intake in the US population. J Am Diet Assoc. 2006 Nov;106(11):1783-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jada.2006.08.015. PMID: 17081829.