- Fill a large saucepan with an inch of water. Place the potatoes in a steamer basket and lower the basket into the pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and steam the potatoes at a low boil until they are fork tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are steaming, prepare the drizzle. Place the orange juice, oil, maple syrup, zest, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a small bowl and stir with a fork to combine. Set aside.
- To make the topping, place the pecans, oil, maple syrup, zest, and salt in a small bowl and stir until the nuts are evenly coated with the oil and syrup. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet or a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with aluminum foil and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- When the potatoes are done, carefully remove from the steamer basket using tongs and place on the foil-lined baking sheet. When cool enough to handle, lightly mash the sweet potato flesh with a fork. Be careful not to break the skin. Pour the drizzle evenly over the sweet potato halves and let it soak in. Top the potato halves evenly with the pecan mixture.
- Bake until the nuts are lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes.
You can steam the potatoes two to three days a head of time. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Before your feast, re-heat the potato halves in the microwave before you smash, drizzle, top, and bake.