Even kale loathers love this appetizer! This is an easy appetizer to assemble before a gathering if you make the crostini toasts and kale mixture ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Arrange slices in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush slices on top side with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with pepper.
- Toast in oven until they are golden (about 10 minutes). Let toasts cool on baking sheet.
- Meanwhile in medium-size nonstick saucepan over medium heat, cook garlic in 3 tablespoons of olive oil until light golden (about 3 minutes). If you added 4 extra cloves for garnish, remove those with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the kale and water to remaining mixture in saucepan and continue to cook until the moisture has evaporated (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and season kale with pepper and salt if desired.
- Spoon the kale onto each crostini toast and top with a large shaving of cheese. Garnish with a slice of golden garlic if desired.