Healthy eating is all about balance. You can enjoy your favorite foods even if they’re high in calories, fat or added sugars. The key is to eat them only once in a while, balancing them out with healthier foods and more physical activity. So, enjoy your favorite food but …
- Consume it less often. If you normally eat these foods every day, cut back to once a week or once a month. You’ll be cutting your calories because you’re not having the food as often.
- Eat smaller amounts of your favorite food or add fruits or vegetables to bulk it up without the added fat or calories.
- Try a lower-calorie version. Use lower-calorie ingredients or prepare it differently.
- Exercise for a longer period of time to allow for the calories consumed from your favorite food.
- Enjoy it! As long are you’re eating healthfully the majority of the time, it’s OK to reward yourself from time to time with one of your favorite foods. Just don’t go overboard … everything in moderation!