On average, Americans spend about 12 minutes eating breakfast each day, with more and more of those eating occasions happening on the go. Living in such a high-paced society, it can be hard to spend enough time making sure “the most important meal of the day” is well balanced with nourishing foods.
Try these Grab ‘n Go breakfast ideas you can grab in a flash to ensure you’re powered up for the day ahead.
5 Portable Produce-Packed Breakfast Ideas
- Tex-Mex Burrito Wrap – Using a whole grain tortilla, scrambled eggs, rinsed reduced-sodium black beans, peppers, onions and shredded cheddar cheese, these wraps are perfect to take on the road. For a time-saving tip, make a week’s worth of wraps at one time and individually freeze so you can simply pop them in the microwave before heading out the door.
- Overnight Oats – Before bed, combine ½ cup rolled oats, ¼ cup milk, ¼ cup vanilla yogurt, ¼ cup blueberries and a dash of cinnamon and sweetener (to taste) in a mason jar. Refrigerate overnight and in the morning all you have to do is top with more fresh blueberries and walnuts to enjoy.
- Power Smoothie – What’s more portable than a smoothie? And now, flavor combinations are more unique than ever. Use pairings like spinach, kiwi and banana or avocado and mango as your base and you’ll never get board at breakfast. Generally, smoothies are very forgiving to make. You can add one part liquid (i.e. 100% juice, milk, water) to one part produce, then add a handful of leafy greens and additional frozen fruit or ice to thicken as you desire.
- Whole Grain Waffle with Toppings – Move over butter and syrup, it’s time to give the whole grain waffle a modern-day makeover. Top with fresh berries, sliced almonds, a drizzle of honey, a dollop of Greek yogurt or natural peanut butter, sliced bananas and raisins for a balanced meal in minutes.
- Muffin-Pan Frittatas – Instead of preparing a pie-sized frittata for the morning, opt for individual-sized servings that can be taken on the road. Spray a muffin pan with no-stick cooking spray, fill with your favorite veggie combinations (i.e. spinach, kale, broccoli, red peppers, potatoes, mushrooms, onions), pour over scrambled eggs and bake until done. Like the burrito wraps above. these mini frittatas can also be individual wrapped and frozen for an on-the-go option.
No matter what breakfast combination you decide to enjoy, make sure colorful fruits and vegetables are part of your meal. With all the convenient and portable choices available like natural applesauce cups, veggie-based pouches, raisins and nectarines, you simply can’t go wrong.