Snacking smart is just as important for adults as it is for kids. Here are some easy ways to fit healthful snacking into your day.
On-the-Go Snack Ideas
There’s no reason why healthy snacking has to fall by the wayside just because your busy days don’t leave you much time for meal prep or cooking. Even a weekend road trip should be packed with good-for-you snacks that are portable and delicious. Think of a snack as a small meal – try to include a healthy carbohydrate, fat, and protein with each snack to keep you satiated.
- Greek yogurt with a handful of nuts and some fruit
- A slice of whole wheat bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a sliced banana
Work Snack Ideas
Many of us fall victim to the mid-morning snack attack or after-lunch sweet craving and resort to unhealthy options. Take a few minutes over the weekend or the night before work to prepare some snacks. Having something already prepared and ready to go will save you from making unhealthy choices.
- Cheese with whole wheat crackers and an apple
- Hummus with celery and carrot sticks
- Turkey with cheese and a banana
Everyday Snack Ideas
With a cabinet full of goodies to tempt us at any time during the day, mindless nibbling can be a problem if you’re not prepared with a better option. Very often, we eat out of boredom or just because it’s there. If you have a few things designated as snacks for the day, it’ll take the guesswork and mindlessness out of choosing what to eat.
- A handful of nuts and a cheese stick
- Protein-rich lean, green bean hummus with veggies and whole-grain crackers
- Air-popped popcorn with a side of fruit such as a pear
- Healthy fat-filled guacamole with veggies and crackers for dipping
For the recipes and items mentioned above, visit your local ShopRite store or ShopRite.com