Whether you’re loading up the car for a weekend getaway, shuttling the kids between sports practices, or rushing out the door for work in the morning, snacking smart is just as important for adults as it is for kids. Here are some easy ways to fit healthful snacking into your day.
On-the-Go Snack Ideas
There’s no reason why healthy snacking has to fall by the wayside just because your busy schedule has you in and out of the car. Even a weekend road trip should be packed with good-for-you snacks that are portable and delicious. Think of a snack almost as a small meal – try to include a healthy carbohydrate, fat and protein with each snack to keep you satiated.
- Greek yogurt with a handful of nuts and some fruit
- A slice of whole wheat bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a sliced banana
Work Snack Ideas
Many of us fall victim to the mid-morning snack attack or after-lunch sweet craving and resort to the unhealthy contents of the office vending machine. Take a few minutes over the weekend or the night before work to pack some snacks. Having something already prepared and ready to go will save you from making unhealthy choices.
- Cheese with whole wheat crackers and an apple
- Hummus with celery and carrot sticks
- Turkey with cheese and a banana
Home Snack Ideas
With a cabinet full of goodies to tempt us at any time during the day, mindless nibbling can be a problem if you’re not prepared with a better option. Very often, we eat out of boredom or just because it’s there. If you have a few things designated as snacks for the day, it’ll take the guesswork and mindlessness out of choosing what to eat.
- A handful of nuts and a cheese stick
- Protein-rich lean, green bean hummus with veggies and whole grain crackers
- Air-popped popcorn with a side of fruit such as a pear
- Healthy fat-filled guacamole with veggies and crackers for dipping
For the recipes and items mentioned above, visit your local ShopRite store or ShopRite.com