If you’re looking to feel better, more energized and be a better version of you in the new year, make a new year’s intention that focuses on healthy hydration. In addition to having more energy, being properly hydrated can help to improve your mood and concentration.(1) Not sure how to fit more water into your day? Try one of these tips:
- Use colorful rubber bands as a cue. In the morning, wrap five or six rubber bands around the top of your reusable water bottle. Each time you finish the bottle, move a rubber band to the bottom of your bottle. The visual reminder will help to keep you on track.
- Create mental triggers. For example: every time you sit down at your desk at work take a drink, take a sip during every TV commercial break, you get the idea!
- Set a timer on your phone for every 30 or 45 minutes to remind you to take a drink.
- Take your reusable water bottle with you everywhere you go; running errands, to a friend’s house, to work, to book club, to the doctor’s office.
If you get bored with plain old water, infuse it with fresh fruits, veggies, and herbs to add flavor without added sugar or artificial ingredients.
Use these 3 simple steps for infusing water:
- Wash all fruits and veggies before slicing and dicing.
- Add your desired ingredients to your reusable water bottle and then fill with cold water.
- For best flavor, refrigerate for at least one hour. Note that some fruits and herbs will infuse more quickly than others.
Try experimenting with sparkling, seltzer or unsweetened coconut water as the base.
The flavor combinations are endless. A few favorites include:
- Pineapple + Lemon + Pomegranate
- Blueberries + Lime + Mint
- Orange + Cinnamon Sticks + Clove
And don’t forget about 100% juice! In additional to being hydrating, 100% juice contains vitamins to help keep your body humming. If you like drinks with a little fizz, combine 100% juice with seltzer for even more refreshment.
Pineapple Grapefruit Spritz
- 8oz pineapple juice
- 3oz grapefruit juice
- 6oz sparkling or seltzer water
Combine juices and water in a pitcher. Serve over ice and garnish with fresh grapefruit and rosemary sprigs.
Recipe courtesy of Dole Packaged Foods.