Blue cheese is the perfect flavor bridge for pairing walnuts and pears, and this recipe is the perfect way to impress your friends and family with a super easy, incredibly delicious appetizer or snack. Just be sure to make the mostarda ahead of time; it needs 24 hours for the flavors to marry, mingle, and become magical.
For the Pear Mostarda
- In a small glass mixing bowl fold all ingredients together.
- Cover, place in the refrigerator, and marinate for 24 hours.
For the Pear & Blue Cheese Crema
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
For the pear & walnut Flatbread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place walnuts pieces on a baking sheet, and toast 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°F.
- Place a skillet over high heat. When the pan is hot, add olive oil and pears and sear for 2-3 minutes per side to develop a beautiful, caramelized sear on each side.
- Place flatbread on a baking sheet and spread with crema.
- Top with seared pears, blue cheese, and Italian cheese blend.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes.
- Top flatbread with watercress, mostarda, and toasted walnuts, and serve.
- Cut into 6 pieces.
You can use extra mostarde on sandwiches, roast pork, or roasted sweet potatoes. Extra crema makes a wonderful dip for celery.
Certified Master Chef Ron DeSantis of CulinaryNXT and Amy Myrdal Miller, MS, RD, FAND
Sponsored by Pacific Northwest Canned Pear Service and California Walnut Board
Photo credit to Kristina LaRue, RD – Love and Zest