Do you love the classic pairing of peanut butter and jelly? This leveled-up sandwich is a fun new take, celebrating the delicious combination of nut butter and fruit.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse fresh produce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Layer walnuts on a sheet pan and bake for 8 minutes or until they become fragrant. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Heat oven to broil.
- In a food processor, grind walnuts until they become sticky. Add salt.
- While pulsing, slowly add oil a little at a time, until walnut butter binds together. Add honey and cinnamon and pulse a few additional times to combine.
- Spread a thin layer of prepared walnut butter on one side of each slice of bread. Set aside.
- Peel banana and cut in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise to make four banana slices. Place banana slices on a small sheet pan lined with foil or parchment paper, cut sides up. Lightly sprinkle tops with sugar and cinnamon.
- Place bananas on top rack in oven and broil until sugar melts and bananas begin to brown, about 1-2 minutes. Watch closely to prevent burning.
- Carefully transfer bananas to one slice of bread and top with the second slice.
- Cut in half and enjoy!
Big Y’s recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightback.org!
Walnut Butter recipe courtesy of California Walnuts