With the cold temperatures dropping, it’s time to find the perfect soul-warming foods. A piping hot bowl of oatmeal has been a long time favorite of mine, but with my on-the-go lifestyle it can be hard to eat in the car. I like to keep things simple with this Baked Oatmeal To Go recipe, it’s not only easy to make but delicious and healthy too. By simply adding blueberries, you can blast up the nutrient profile and fuel your heart and brain. Berries were once a fruit of summer, but thanks to lush winter growing seasons in areas like Chile, we can enjoy fresh berries year round! Blueberries can help fight the winter blues as they are rich in antioxidants as a whole; they have anti-aging properties, as well as brain, skin and heart health benefits. You can keep your fresh blueberries for up to 10 days in the fridge but store them unwashed and covered (either in the pack they came in or a covered container). Be sure to wash them just before eating.
Baked Oatmeal … To Go
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1½ cups skim milk (or whatever milk you like)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper or paper/foil muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add the applesauce, milk, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk until well combined. Stir in the oats and baking powder.
- Fill the muffin tin with ¼ cup of the oat mixture in each muffin cup. Add your blueberries as toppings. Push the toppings down into the oat mixture with a spoon.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let them cool for 5 minutes before eating. Store in an airtight container or freeze in a zip top storage bag.