The sun is shining. The snow has finally melted. Grocery stores are full of fresh fruits and vegetables. Spring is here and it’s the perfect time to make new wellness goals or perhaps recommit to some of those New Year’s resolutions that may have fallen by the wayside. But no matter what goals you choose for yourself or when you plan to start, set yourself up for success!
3 Ways to Help Reach Your Goals
- Be as specific as possible! “I will bring a pair of sneakers with me to work and spend half of my lunch break walking around the building 3 out of 5 days.” This makes the goal easier to stick to than “I will walk more.”
- Use measurable numbers, time frames and deadlines to help you stay on track.
- Start small, choosing just 1 or 2 goals at a time and keeping those goals realistic. Working to lose 1 pound per week is much less daunting than focusing on the 10 pounds you want to lose by summer.
6 Tips for Getting … and Staying … Healthy this Spring
- Load up on fruits and veggies. Make a plan to try one new spring fruit or vegetable each week. Plan to enjoy them as snacks or incorporate them into your meals.
- Gradually replace some of the salt you use with flavorful fresh herbs and lemon zest. It adds delicious flavor while still keeping meals healthy and low in sodium.
- Add a salad prepared with leafy greens and plenty of fresh vegetables to the beginning of your meal to fill up on essential nutrients.
- Wash, chop and portion healthy snacks, salads and sides for the whole week to save time.
- Do a little spring cleaning — it keeps you up and moving throughout the day and you’ll be rewarded with a beautiful and organized living space!
- Take a walk after dinner! Brisk, 15-20 minutes walks taken 30 minutes after eating help control blood sugar levels and aid with weight loss and maintenance.
What healthy activities and habits will the warmer weather inspire you to try this year?
Natalie Menza, MS, RD
Manager of Health and Wellness
Wakefern Food Corporation