There is no escaping it – the summer heat is on full throttle! Fruits and vegetables may not seem the likely choice to beat the summer heat, but most have a high water content and are packed with important electrolytes like potassium and magnesium. Try these cool treats to put a chill on the summer heat!
10 Cool Treats to Beat the Heat
- Frozen Grapes
- Mock-sangria (frozen fruit in water or flavored soda water)
- Cucumber rounds topped with tuna or chicken salad
- Watermelon Pops (cut watermelon into wedges, chill and skewer to make pops)
- Strawberry and Cheese Kabobs
- Chopped raw veggies with Greek yogurt dip or hummus
- Fruit and Veggie Smoothie
- Dark Chocolate Dipped Frozen Bananas
- Chilled fruit and veggie salsa with tortilla chips
- Fruit and Veggie Popsicles from your grocer’s freezer
Honeydew-Blueberry Ice Pops
- ½ honeydew melon, seeded, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 pints blueberries
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a blender combine melon, blueberries and lime juice; blend to a smooth purée. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine honey, ½ cup water, lime zest and mint. Place over high heat; bring to boiling. Remove pan from heat and let cool completely.
- Strain honey mixture; stir into melon purée. Pour evenly into ice-pop molds. Freeze at least 12 hours
Recipe Source: Meijer
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 175 calories, 1g Fat, 44g Carbohydrate, 3g Protein