Andrew Dole, RDN, CEC
Everyday Chef, Fruits & Veggies—More Matters
- Brussels sprouts and kale are the base.
- Sliced almonds provide crunch and additional protein.
- Dried fruit provides a toothsome texture and pockets of sweetness.
- The oil and vinegar choices determine the flavor profile of the salad.
Variations on Flavor Profile
- A rice wine vinegar with white sugar and an untoasted sesame oil make this distinctly Asian in flare. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
- Choose an apple cider vinegar with brown sugar and you’ve gone Southern! Garnish with crispy smoked bacon.
Shredded Brussels Sprout & Kale Salad Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 6-8
10-15 Brussels sprouts, rinsed and dried, thinly sliced
½ bunch kale, rinsed and dried, torn to bite size pieces
¼ cup almonds, sliced
½ cup dried fruit, sour cherries, cranberries, golden raisins
¼ cup white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 pinch sugar, to taste
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1. Toss together thinly sliced Brussels sprouts and ½ of the torn kale.
2. Mix in ½ of the almonds and dried fruit.
3. Sprinkle ⅓ of vinegar over salad and toss.
4. Lightly drizzle oil over top of salad and toss again.
5. Taste for balance of vinegar and oil. Add more oil or vinegar to taste.
6. Season with salt and pepper lightly.
7. Taste again and sprinkle sugar over salad. Toss and taste. Adjust sweetness to desired level.
9. Garnish with remaining almonds and dried fruit.
For a classic vinaigrette emulsion mix:
¼ cup vinegar (try apple cider or rice wine vinegar)
¼ cup canola Oil (stick with flavorless oils)
1 Tbsp sugar (try brown sugar or maple syrup)
Photo Credit: Andrew Dole