Sloppy Joes for Meatless Monday? You bet! This sloppy joe recipe is fast, easy, packed with plant protein, and reheats very well.
- Place large sauté pan over medium heat – add olive oil and vegetables – sauté 3-5 minutes. Onions will become see-through and bell pepper will be tender but firm.
- Remove pan from heat – add spices. Stir to mix well. Let the heat from the pan toast the spices to prevent burning.
- Add sugar, Worcestershire, tomato sauce, and vinegar. Return to heat and stir well. Bring to gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add lentils to sauce, stirring to combine well. Cover with lid and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Taste – add salt if desired.
- Add the flour in thirds to avoid clumping. Sprinkle flour over lentil mixture, stirring as you add. Mix well and gently simmer uncovered until the mixture is as thick as you want it. More flour can be added (if necessary) for a very thick mixture that stays on the bun better.
Serve warm on favorite bread with pickles or try eating at breakfast with eggs.
Also pairs well with blue corn tortilla chops for a huevos rancheros skillet.