Arctic® apples make throwing together a pie so easy since they are non-browning and already freshly sliced for you.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- If you’re making your own crust, once your pie crust has been made and it has rested, roll out 1 of the crusts and lay it in a 9-inch pie plate.
- Roll out the other half on a piece of parchment on a flat cookie sheet until it’s about 10 inches in diameter. Place both the pie plate and the cookie sheet in the fridge to rest again while you prepare the filling.
- Mix together the apples, granulated sugar, brown sugar, arrowroot powder or tapioca starch, apple pie spice, and lemon juice.
- Remove the crusts from the fridge, and pour the apple filling into the pie plate.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut ¾ inch wide strips of dough out of the rolled out piece of crust on the cookie sheet. Having this dough cold will make it easier to work with.
- Lay half of the strips of dough lengthwise across the pie, evenly spacing between each strip.
- To make the lattice, take the longest remaining piece of dough and lay it across the center of the pie horizontally.
- Lift every other piece of dough running vertically to cover the piece laying horizontally to create a basket weave look.
- Repeat this with each remaining piece of dough until you have a lattice top.
- Trim the excess crust from the edge and pinch the dough together using your fingers or a fork.
- Place the pie on to a cookie sheet with a rim* and slide it into the oven for 15 minutes. *Note – this keeps your oven clean if the pie bubbles over during cooking. A great tip for all fruit pies
- After the 15 minutes is up, remove the pie from the oven and reset the temperature to 350F. Cover the pie with foil.
- Whisk together the egg and water to make an egg wash.
- Bake for 45 minutes before removing the foil and brushing the egg wash all over the pie. Sprinkle with the coarse sugar and bake for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Let the pie cool for 3-4 hours before serving. Best served with vanilla ice cream!