- Cube squash and soften in microwave (approximately 5 to 10 minutes). Once softened, puree in food processor or blender.
- Meanwhile, Peel and shred apples using a grater or food processor. Set aside ¼ cup.
- Warm oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add all but ¼ cup apples. Cook and stir until apples soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in squash and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add the evaporated milk about ½ cup at a time to the squash mixture, stirring after each addition.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until soup is about to boil.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls. Top each 1 Tbsp of unused apples (from the ¼ cup that was set aside earlier). Serve.
Recipe courtesy of Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.