This vegetarian version of the traditional Lao salad is made with walnut meat. Served in lettuce with vegetables and a dipping sauce, it makes a light and fresh dish.
- To prepare dipping sauce, stir together all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- To prepare larb, place walnuts and chickpeas in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add shallots, 2 tablespoons oil, lemongrass, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, lime leaves, and chilis. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped and resembles ground pork, stirring and moving the mixture around the food processor to ensure an even mix.
- Heat remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add “larb” mixture and saute for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is nicely browned. Remove from heat and stir in scallions.
- Place lettuce leaves, radishes, cucumbers, herbs, and dipping sauce on a large platter and spoon “larb” into a serving bowl. Spoon “larb” into lettuce leaves and top with desired vegetables. Serve with lime wedges.