- Place 1 inch of water in a 4-quart sauce pan with lid.
- Place a steamer basket inside pot and add asparagus. Cover and bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce to medium heat and cook for an additional 5 minutes (until asparagus is easily pierced with a sharp knife).
- While asparagus cooks, grate lemon zest into a small bowl. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Use the back of a spoon to press out extra juice and remove pits. Add mayonnaise, parsley, pepper and salt. Stir well and set aside.
- When the asparagus is tender, remove from pot. Place asparagus in a serving bowl. Drizzle lemon sauce evenly over the asparagus. Serve.
Recipe adapted from Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.