Meet our Have A Plant® Ambassadors!
Click Here

I consumed a small bit of banana that had a red, crunchy inside. Is this dangerous to my health?

Answer

Needless to say, without examining the banana directly we couldn’t confirm any cause, but based on the description the fruit may be affected by Mokillo (aka Red Finger) which is a bacteria that can occur naturally on the banana flower tip. Infrequently, this bacteria enters into the banana through wind, water, or birds and produces an effect similar to the ones described. Despite its unattractive appearance, a banana with Mokillo is not harmful if consumed. Mokillo is rarely found in bananas.

Related Content