Want to impress family and friends the next time you find them gathered around your dinner table? Use fresh, delicious produce to create a restaurant-quality dish that will have your guests talking. We’ve done just that with these cheesy, savory Vegan Potatoes au Gratin. Serve them up at your next gathering!
How to Make Vegan Potatoes Au Gratin
Cheesy potatoes are a family favorite any time of year, but these Vegan Potatoes au Gratin take it up a notch. Elevate any occasion with this dish that’s both refined and addicting. Whether you’re serving a weeknight dinner or hosting a holiday feast, your friends and family won’t be able to get enough of these tasty taters.
And with vegan ingredients, more of them can enjoy this dish, too! These Vegan Potatoes au Gratin are both gluten- and dairy-free, making them friendly to many diners with dietary restrictions. Not only will this dish become a new favorite, it will be one you can feel good about serving, too.
This dish takes some prep work, but it’s so, so worth it. You’ll start by preparing the vegan cheese sauce by mixing the ingredients in a saucepan. When your “cheese” is ready, it’s time to prep the potatoes. Spread them out in a baking dish and layer them with yellow onions before pouring the vegan cheese sauce over them. Now bake them in the oven, pulling them out midway through to sprinkle some vegan mozzarella cheese over them!
Vegan Potatoes Au Gratin
Serving size: 8 servings Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes
Vegan Cheese Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 5 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 small yellow onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Make the cheese sauce: Heat the coconut oil in a small Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix corn starch and vegetable broth together in a liquid measuring cup until all the corn starch is dissolved. Pour into the saucepan while whisking. Slowly add the almond milk, salt, nutritional yeast, and mustard to the saucepan, whisking until creamy. Remove from heat.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread half of the sliced potatoes out in an even Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Add a layer of yellow onion. Repeat this process until all of the potatoes and onions have been added.
- Pour the vegan cheese sauce evenly over the potatoes and
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30
- Uncover and top with vegan mozzarella Bake an additional 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
#haveaplant At Your Next Gathering
We love these Vegan Potatoes au Gratin served alongside green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and other Thanksgiving favorites. But they make a delicious homestyle dish any time of year! Whether you’re cooking for Thanksgiving or another occasion, this recipe will help you add more produce to your table in an accessible, diet-friendly way.