Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (15 ½ oz) black beans, low-sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ½ oz) red kidney beans, low-sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ½ oz) pinto beans, low-sodium, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14 ½ oz each) diced tomatoes, no-salt-added
- 1 Tbsp cumin, ground
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
In an 8-quart soup or pasta pot, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook, stirring until onion starts to soften (approximately 5 minutes). Add celery and green pepper. Cook and stir another 5 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Add drained and rinsed beans. Stir in tomatoes, cumin and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10-20 minutes. Serve.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
Total Fat: 8g
Saturated Fat: 0.5g
% of Calories from Fat: 19%
% Calories from Sat Fat: 1%
Dietary Fiber: 23g
Each serving provides: An excellent source of fiber, vitamins A, B1 and C, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium, and a good source of vitamins B6 and K, and zinc.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.