We all know how to grocery shop, but grocery shopping looks a bit different right now. You may be thinking: Are there items I should be stocking up on? How do I make nourishing meals out of the food that I’m buying?
Here is a list of wholesome, less perishable foods to pick up. Items marked with a * can also be frozen, if needed.
- Canned fruit packed in 100% juice or water
- Canned vegetables
- Canned beans, tomatoes, tuna, salmon and soups
- Chia seeds and ground flax seeds*
- Nut butters and nuts*
- Whole grains like whole wheat pasta, quinoa, oats/oatmeal, brown rice* and whole grain bread*
- Chicken, beef and vegetable stock*
- Cheese* and yogurt*
- Jarred salsa
- Frozen fruits* and frozen vegetables*
- Longer lasting fresh produce, like citrus fruit, apples, pears, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, squash, onions and unripe avocados* (when ripe, pit, slice and freeze)
- Ground beef, turkey and chicken*
- Frozen shrimp* and frozen fish*
- Olive oil and canola oil
Now that you’ve filled your refrigerator, freezer and pantry with these items, what do you make with all this food? Check out these recipes for some inspiration to fuel your family.