The night of trick-or-treating can be crazy with everyone rushing to get home, changing into costumes, grabbing a bite to eat and hitting the neighborhood streets for candy. It may be tempting to order take-out or delivery to save time, but keep in mind, everyone else has that idea, too! Why not get festive by making a pot of Sweet Potato Chili? Chili is a quick and satisfying meal for weeknights, and it’s an easy recipe to double or triple for feeding a Halloween party crowd. The orange sweet potatoes and black beans in this recipe are sure to get everyone in the holiday spirit, and it’s perfect for warming up after a successful night of trick-or-treating.
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 pkg. chili seasoning (or homemade chili seasoning, below)
- Nonfat plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, diced avocado (optional)
- In a large soup pot, brown ground turkey over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Place remaining 7 ingredients into pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft. Top with desired toppings, and serve warm.
Homemade Chili Seasoning: In a small bowl, mix together 1 Tbsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. ground cumin, ¼ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. black pepper, ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional), 1 tsp. garlic powder, and 1 tsp. onion powder.Recipe adapted from: Festival Foods 20 Minute Meals blog