Spaghetti squash is a winter squash that is gaining popularity as a lower calorie, lower carb alternative to pasta. Once it’s cooked, it’s as simple as dragging a fork across the flesh to separate it into strands. With only about 40 calories per cup and 10 grams of carbohydrates, it’s easy to understand why it is a great choice. But there is more to this squash than just lower calories and carbs, such as beta carotene, vitamins C, K and B vitamins.
Green chili peppers provide well over 100% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C for adults. Combine the green chilies with spaghetti squash, and you are boosting your intake of a wide variety of vitamins and minerals, including potassium, manganese, B vitamins, and more. Spaghetti squash also contains a fair amount of fiber, which may help in weight reduction as it will keep you fuller longer.
This green chili chicken enchilada stuffed spaghetti squash recipe is a whole new take on enchiladas. You definitely won’t miss the tortillas when you make this low-carb, low-fat recipe.
Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 ½ cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- 10 oz can green enchilada sauce
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. diced green chilies
- ½ cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- ¼ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (can use a combination of both)
1. Use a sharp knife to pierce the spaghetti squash in a few places to allow steam out when cooking. Make sure to pierce the squash all the way to the center.
2. Microwave for 5 minutes on high (100% setting); rotate 180° F and microwave for another 5 minutes until squash shell is soft to the touch.
3. Remove from the microwave and let it rest for 5 minutes to allow the squash to finish cooking inside.
4. Use a sharp knife to cut the squash in half, lengthwise. Sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper, and spray with cooking spray. Allow the squash to cool for about ten minutes.
5. Using a fork, gently scrape around the inside edge of the spaghetti squash to shred the pulp into strands and place them into a bowl.
6. Reserve the squash skins.
7. Use your hands to squeeze out excess liquid from the spaghetti squash strands, then return them to the bowl.
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Filling
8. Preheat your oven to broil.
9. In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the enchilada sauce, green onion, green chilies, corn, cilantro and shredded chicken.
10. Once the mixture is warmed through, remove from the heat and stir in the Greek yogurt.
11. Pour the enchilada filling in with the spaghetti squash strands and stir together until combined.
12. Scoop the filling back into the spaghetti squash shells and top with the shredded cheese.
13. Place the spaghetti squash onto a foil-lined baking sheet and broil in the oven until the cheese is melted, then serve and enjoy!