Memorial Day is a time to honor those who’ve served our country as well as a symbol of the summer upon us. As you celebrate, be sure to add summer’s colorful bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables to your plate, especially green beans. As far as vegetables are concerned, green beans are as patriotic as any vegetable can aspire to be. At the very least, they rank right up there with corn and tomatoes. This Memorial Day, why not include them all in a fiber-rich and nutrient-dense salad to accompany your weekend barbeque?
Green Bean Salad with Corn, Cherry Tomatoes and Basil
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (3 to 4 ears)
- kosher salt
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half diagonally
- 1 small red onion, cut in half through the root end, root trimmed, and cut lengthwise into very thin slices
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar; more to taste
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half (if you don’t have ripe, juicy cherry tomatoes, substitute small wedges of ripe beefsteak tomatoes)
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh basil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the corn kernels and blanch for 1 min. Scoop out the corn with a strainer, set aside. Season the water with a generous amount of salt, let it return to a boil, add the beans, and cook until just tender, about 3 min. Drain the beans and spread them on a baking sheet to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the onion in a small bowl filled with ice water (which will crisp it and mellow its flavor). Using a mortar and pestle or the flat side of a chef’s knife, mash the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt. Put the paste in a small bowl (or keep it in the mortar) and whisk in the vinegar. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes and then whisk in the olive oil.
- Just before serving, drain the onions. Put the beans, corn, onions, cherry tomatoes, and basil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss with the vinaigrette. Taste again and add more salt, pepper, or vinegar if needed. Serve right away.
Recipe Source: Meijer
Allison J. Stowell MS RD CDN
Insider’s Viewpoint Archive