Guacamole – the classic dip that is perfect for any time of the year! Heart-healthy avocados are the star of this dish. A good source of fiber and packed with 20 different vitamins and minerals, avocados are also naturally sodium free, cholesterol free and low in saturated fat. This powerhouse fruit truly shines when mixed with just a few simple ingredients.
The key to the perfect guacamole is selecting the right avocado. If you’re making the guacamole the same day, look for avocados that have a firm skin with no soft spots; the fruit should slightly yield to gentle pressure when squeezed. If your avocados are still unripe, speed up the ripening process by storing them in a paper bag at room temperature for a couple days. Once ripe, store avocados in the fridge until ready to use.
Check out the video below to see how this quacamole is done!
Chunky Fresh Guacamole
- 4 ripe, fresh avocados, seeded and peeled
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped white or red onion
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano (or jalapeno) pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- Place avocados in a bowl and mash with a fork, leaving some chunks.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
While guacamole can be enjoyed on its own with chips or veggies, we love using it on foods like taco pizza, loaded sheet pan black bean nachos and mini taco cups. Not using your guacamole right away? Store it for about a day by placing a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the guacamole and sealing in an airtight container; refrigerate until you’re ready to serve. If the top layer of guacamole browns during storage, simply skim the layer off and discard.
Recipe from Festival Foods