My wife loves guacamole. She eats it once a week and that means we have plenty of avocados in the house. It also means we get our share of brown avocados. It’s going to happen, but now I don’t have to throw them away.
Chocolate avocado ice cream is the perfect cover up! Cocoa powder hides any brown spots and nearly all the ingredients can be substituted for things already in the house. For example …
- If you don’t drink milk, use almond milk or any diary alternative.
- No sweetened condensed milk? Try honey, brown rice syrup, or just plain white sugar dissolved into a milk alternative. Start with 4 Tbsp.
- No Greek Yogurt? No problem. Skip it!
Get your nutrition and eat dessert too!
Avocados provide a good source of healthy mono-unsaturated fat, fiber, vitamin K, folate, and provide access to other vitamins minerals that a dairy base just won’t: iron thiamin, manganese, magnesium, potassium, riboflavin, and vitamins C, B6, and E.
And it tastes amazing!
Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
197 Calories per serving
1/2 cup – 0% Fat Greek Yogurt
1 tsp – Vanilla Extract
7 oz – Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup – 1% Milk
4 Tbsp – Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Deseed avocados and remove from skin
- Combine all ingredients in blender
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into ice cream maker (following devices instructions)
If you’re not using an ice cream maker, pour mixture into a freezer-safe bowl. Stir every hour and freeze until firm.
Top with your favorites like peanuts, sliced bananas, toasted coconut or crushed peppermint candies!
Calories: 197 Protein: 6 g Carbs: 22 g
Total Fat: 10 g Sat Fat: 3 g Sodium: 52mg
Fiber: 4 g
Photo Credit: Andrew Dole