- Place water and rice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat, drain any excess water, fluff, and let cool.
- While rice cooks, in a separate saucepan, prepare edamame according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add nori sheets to the pan, one at a time, and toast until fragrant, about 30 to 45 seconds per side. Set nori aside, raise heat to medium-high and add canola oil to skillet. Drain tofu and pat dry. Cut the block lengthwise into 4 equal pieces. Cook tofu slices until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Let cool enough to handle; thencut each slice lengthwise into 4 pieces; then cut the bunch in half crosswise.
- Place cooled rice in a large bowl and toss with edamame, tofu, carrot, cucumber, and avocado. Crumble or coarsely chop nori and add to the bowl.
- Place orange juice, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce in a blender and blend until combined. Alternately, place in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well until blended. Toss dressing with rice mixture. Divide among 4 serving bowls and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve at room temperature.