- Stir together the blueberries, lemon zest and juice, and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a low simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese and egg yolks until fluffy. Whisk in the lemon zest and juice, milk, oil, and vanilla extract until combined. Fold in the dry ingredients until combined.
- Place the egg whites in a separate bowl. Use a hand mixer to whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, just until combined.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Working in batches, pour ¼ cup batter into the hot skillet and cook 2-3 minutes per side, until set. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve the pancakes with blueberry compote.
Variation Tip: Try stawberries, blackberries or raspberries instead of blueberries for the compote.
Cooking tip: Once mixed, let the batter sit 5 minutes.