- In a small saucepan, bring cherries, sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the cherries cook down and the mixture starts to thicken to a syrup consistency. Remove from heat. It will continue to thicken as it sits.
Optional: Blend using food processor or blender if you prefer a thinner syrup.
- Preheat waffle iron to medium-high setting. Meanwhile, squeeze excess water out of grated potatoes using a clean kitchen towel.
- In a medium bowl, mix together potatoes, eggs, olive oil, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Spray waffle iron with a non-stick cooking spray. Spoon a layer of potato mixture onto the surface leaving about ½” from the edges. Close the lid and cook for about 5 minutes, checking occasionally. Continue to cook for about 2 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a warm oven while you finish the remaining batches. Serve with warm cherry syrup.
If the waffle iron lid doesn’t close all the way at first, close it slightly and let cook for 2 minutes before pressing the lid down completely.