Save a pumpkin, carve a watermelon! Spook your neighbors this Halloween by carving your very own Bat Jack O'Melon . Don't forget to save the yummy insides of the watermelon to make some delicious watermelon snacks!
- Wash the watermelons under cool running water & pat dry.
- On a cutting board, place the roundest watermelon on its side & cut off ¼”-½” of the stem end, being careful not to cut too deep into the white part of the rind. This will provide a sturdy base.
- Using the dry-erase marker, draw two eyes, an oval for a nose and a smiling mouth that would resemble a bat. Draw two ears and an outline of a forehead, continuing the line around to make the top for the bat that will be removed.
- Use a knife to carefully cut away the inside of the eyes, nose and mouth and also around the top of the watermelon. Remove the top of the watermelon & hollow out the watermelon with the spoon, reserving the fruit to use in a fruit salad or punch.
- On the second watermelon use the dry-erase marker to draw 2 bat wings (the top of the wings will have 2 points & the bottom of the wing will have 3 points.)
- Use a knife to carefully cut the wings out, reserving the inside of the watermelon to make fruit salad or punch.
- Attach the wings to the side of the watermelon bat with the wooden skewers and use the toothpicks to attach the candy-corn as fangs for the bat.
- Insert a candle to light up your bat.
Recipe courtesy of National Watermelon Board.