If you like Tandoori chicken, then you’ll want to try this cauliflower version. Typically, chicken is marinated in a yogurt and tandoori spice mixture before being cooked in a clay oven. For this vegetarian version, florets of cauliflower get tossed in a mixture of yogurt, lemon, garlic, ginger and tandoori spice before roasting until crispy and golden.
You can find tandoori spice mix in the seasoning section of well-stocked grocery stores or at specialty grocery stores. If you can’t find it, you can substitute curry powder or create your own spice blend using 1 teaspoon of each of these spices: ginger, cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper.
Enjoy this dish on its own or served with turmeric rice and a dollop of cooling raita, a yogurt and herb sauce that’s often served with Indian food.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small lemon, zest and juice (roughly 1-2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons Tandoori Masala spice
- pinch salt (if your spice mix doesn’t contain salt)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Combine cauliflower with yogurt, ginger, garlic, lemon zest and juice, tandoori seasoning, salt and pepper then toss until well coated.
- Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes until tender and slightly golden.
Per serving: (4 side dishes) 67 calories, 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 2mg cholesterol, 12g carbohydrates, 5g sugars, 4g fiber, 5g protein
Photo Credit: Alex Caspero